In few minutes you can analyze any public FB page data.
Here we see how to analyze the likes and comments – instantly.
You need Excel 2010 or Excel 2013 (Professional Plus edition) or Office which is installed from Office 365.
- Close Excel if it is open
- Download a new, extremely powerful tool Power Query for Excel
- Install the tool
- Open Excel
- You should now see a tab called Power Query
- Open Power Query tab and open the From Other Sources dropdown
- Choose Facebook
Choose me and Statuses (you can choose other types as well)
Remember that you can type any username or object id which has information accessible to you
- Click Ok
- Sign in to your Facebook account
- Save the credentials
- Now it will open a query result window and extract status update information from FB
- At this stage it shows few results. Later it will fetch all possible results.
- Keep the columns Message, Updated Time, Likes and Comments.
- Remove other columns by right clicking on each column and deleting it
- Now we want the count of likes and comments
- As of now, both show Table.
- Notice the small icon next to the Likes and Comments column headings
- Click on that icon and do the following for Likes and Comments
- Choose Aggregate and Count of ID
- Now the Column shows count
- The date time column contains locale information. We want a simple Date Time column.
- Right click on the Updated Time column and choose Date Time
- On the right side pane, expand the Steps area
- Notice that all the steps you performed are remembered.
- Click the Done button
- Wait for data to be fetched
- Now you can use this data in a Pivot Table or PowerView to analyze the FB data easily
This is a PowerView chart of one FB site
- Here is another one as a PivotChart based upon another public site
Now you can do sophisticated FB analysis without knowing any programming, FQL or Graph API syntax.
Explore Power Query.
It has a very powerful syntax. Yes it is complex but it is extremely powerful.
We will cover more of Power Query, Power View and Power Map in future posts.