This article is for IT professionals only. Office templates are created by users. How to make common templates available to all employees (or specific groups)? Here are the approaches available.
Using File Folder / SharePoint Document Library
- AD and GPMC is required.
- Put all the templates in a central shared folder or a document library.
- Install and download Group Policy admin templates for Office.
- Open Group Policy MMC, open Admin templates – MS Office <ver> – Shared Paths
- Change the setting Enterprise Templates Path
- If server share provide UNC Path.
- If SharePoint library, add that as a network location (or map as drive in login script).
- That’s It. Now users can see templates in Word, Excel, PowerPoint – File – New
Using content types
- Create a document library
- Give read only access to all users
- Create and map a content type
- Add templates to the content type
- New button in the document library will now list all mapped templates